Popular Posts

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Precious Lord, Take My Hand By Thomas A. Dorsey

http://biblicalfocus.com/Hymn_Precious_Lord.html

Precious Lord, Take My Hand.       
                                                         By Thomas A. Dorsey



Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light:
Refrain
Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me home.
When my way grows drear,
Precious Lord, linger near,
When my life is almost gone,
Hear my cry, hear my call,
Hold my hand lest I fall:
Refrain
When the darkness appears
And the night draws near,
And the day is past and gone,
At the river I stand,
Guide my feet, hold my hand:
Thomas A. Dorsey, often called the Father of Gospel Music (1899 - 1993), wrote this song in Chicago, Illinois, after his wife Nettie died while giving birth to a child (who also died shortly thereafter). Dor­sey sang the song for his friend, Gospel singer Theodore Frye, and Frye’s choir sang it the next Sunday at the Ebenezer Baptist Church. Dorsey died of Alzheimer's disease on January 23, 1993. But his testimony lives on each Sunday as voices rise in praise, singing the gospel across the land

No comments: